Monday, September 10, 2012

A revitalizing weekend!


Although last week was pretty slow, and I had to miss one day of work due to some lack of sleep and hives break out (whoever discovers a cure will make $$$$ someday!), this past weekend was just what the doctor ordered!Friday night kicked off with the SHARE office dinner at my house! It was a blast cooking for everyone, showing off Pinky, introducing Karen and Marta, and watching the ES soccer team play (then lose…sad) on tv. We kept calling it GIRLS´ NIGHT out!


I made some fresh avocado, beet, walnut, and blue cheese salad (inspired by one Beth Tellman made for me once), mashed potatoes and grilled chicken with mushrooms.  Definitely was not a typical Salvadoran meal..or even flavors really, but I think they all really liked it (especially with wine!).  Still getting compliments today at work.

After dinner, Karen, Delmy, Vicky and I met up with some friends at CafĂ© La T for SALSA FRIDAY…my favorite place for dancing.  We twirled in circles and moved our caderas until we were exhausted—the perfect way to end the night!

Saturday morning we woke up bright and early to clean up after the office dinner, then headed off to visit Marta´s home community of…wait for it…SANTA MARTA. Funny, right? I love it.  Santa Marta is about 3hours away by car, and closer to 4 by bus.  Thankfully we got a ride with a local teacher who was headed to teach a workshop on Liberation Theology that afternoon.

Once in Santa Marta, Marta showed us her house and introduced us to her family: her mother, sister and brother all live together in a humble home close to a small creek.  It is a small oasis with fruit trees, chickens and puppies everywhere! And of course I was loving the puppies…since we had to leave our poor baby home for his first time ever (Pinky)! I now understand how mothers feel on the first day of school…it is hard to let our children go (sigh!)


While in Santa Marta, we attended the liberation theology class—this was very cool to witness because the professor was encouraging the community members, young and old, to interpret the Bible in their own way.  He asked questions like, “What is heaven here in Santa Marta? What is hell? What does fasting really mean? “He even asked if there really is a God…stuff got interesting.  I was amazed at how quickly everyone seemed to really take ownership over what they were learning.  And this is crucial in liberation theology.


On Sunday, Marta had to go to another workshop, so Karen and I decided to crash a dance/celebration at the community center. Of course after only like three minutes of sitting, Karen and I were both asked to dance (this is what happens when you are the only gringa and extranjera in town), so we jumped right in and danced cumbia.  My best dance partner by far was an elderly women in a polka-dot dress…I wanted her dress. Emma and Janie would have wanted it too.

Tired of dancing, Karen and I escaped the party and decided to wander around the community until lunch time.  We stumbled upon a carpenter shop, sewing store, the ADES (an NGO) office, and ran into a couple of people we know.  It was an all around relaxing and wonderful day!  And I got some really great photos!

After lunch with Marta’s mother and sister (frijoles frijoles frijoles), Karen and I passed out in Marta’s twin bed until she came to get us so we could head home to San Salvador.   During the car ride home, Gustavo and Anita from El Pueblo de Dios en Camino came on the radio…and I was reminded that I need to go to church on Sunday.We arrived in San Salvador a little after dinner time, so I walked Pinky and got us all pupusas…We have decided he needs to be walked every night so that he sleeps well.  Ahh…life as a mommy.

La paz,

Katy

No comments:

Post a Comment